ARCH DANCE COMPANY
Arch Dance Company produces soulful contemporary movement that evolves from investigations of human behavior utilizing the fundamental culture of Hip Hop to celebrate humanity. The essence of Hip Hop is the cipher where competition and community feed each other.
The dancers move with and against gravity and fly through space, joining the hard edge of street dance with the fluidity of classical technique. Arch Dance expands the relevance of the Hip Hop culture by demonstrating creative movement that is an intrinsic form of human expression. http://jenniferarchibald.com/
• Jennifer Archibald currently teaches contemporary and hip hop at Dance New Amsterdam
• Arch Dance Company recently performed Uncomfortable Truth at Jacob’s Pillow for Inside Out Aug 2011
• 2011-2012 a resident artist at University of South Florida, East Carolina University, The Ailey School/Fordham, NYU/Cap 21 and Chicago Columbia Dance Center.
• Talk of the Arts Award recipient; University of South Florida recognizes outstanding artistry in Music, Art and Dance.
• 2010 Guest Teacher at the Delfos Contemporary Dance School in Mazatlan Mexico. Guest Teacher in Stockholm Sweden at Balletakademien; Ecuador Teatro Centro d’Arte .
• 2011 Presented work for Different Voices an annual showcase presenting international contemporary choreographers at Bates Dance Festival.
• 2010 -Traveled to China to choreograph a work for the Beijing Dance Academy the first time this academy worked with foreigners for a show in Beijing. With team choreographers Yin Mei, and Jennifer Nugent
• 2008 Jennifer Archibald and Arch Dance Company tours Battlegrounds a work made possible premiered in Gainsviile at the Phillips Center. In NYC it was presented at Baryshnikov Arts Center for National Dance Week and the Riverside Church-for NU Dance Festival.
Jennifer Archibald, founder and artistic director of the Arch Dance Company, graduated from the Alvin Ailey School and has performed across the U.S. at major venues including the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Aaron Davis Hall, The Lincoln Theatre in Washington, DC, The Duke on 42nd Street, The Colony Theatre in Miami Beach, Judson Memorial Church and MTV, as well as in Europe, Russia and Canada. She has staged various off-Broadway shows working with casts from Bring in Da Noise/Bring in Da Funk and the musical Cats. Jennifer has also choreographed for the NBA New York Knicks City Dancers and The Alvin Ailey School. Her works have been featured twice at the Elan Awards honoring Rob Marshall (director of the Academy Award winning film, Chicago) and contemporary dance choreographer, Lar Lubovitch. She has choreographed for the musicals Carousel, The Music Man, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Pippin for professional theater companies; and is also a graduate of the Maggie Flannigan Acting Conservatory specializing in the Meisner technique. She has worked with chart-listed singers Ludacris and Shaggy as well as actors such as Audrey Tautou (The DaVinci Code and Amelie) as a movement specialist and choreographer.
Currently on faculty at Dance New Amsterdam, she teaches Contemporary Jazz and Hip Hop. She is also a long-time faculty member at the Bates Dance Festival and Florida Dance Festival. She has been a resident artist and lecturer at Princeton University, University of South Florida, University of Illinois, Virginia Commonwealth University, Goucher College, East Carolina University, FAMU, Studio Harmonique in France, Jackson School of the Arts in Bermuda and CAP21/NYU. Internationally, she has taught master classes in France, Russia, Mexico, China, Ecuador, Slovenia, Sweden and Canada. She has done numerous outreach projects within the New York City Public School system and was hired by designer Tommy Hilﬁger as a guest artist to teach inner city youth. She completed a solo film project performing in choreographer Michael Foley’s film Joan in Paris, France in 2006. In the summer of 2007 her work was featured outdoors in the heart of Time Square for the Solstice Dance Festival, and was presented by the Bates Dance Festival in a gala concert of international choreographers in 2008 and 2011. Jennifer’s one-woman-show was recently produced at The Studio@620’s “Le Salon de Danse” in St. Petersburg, FL. She is a recipient of the “Talk of The Arts” award from the University of South Florida, which has also honored choreographers Donald McKayle, Bill Irwin and Bill T. Jones. As an artistic director she has presented Arch Dance Company nationally with two National Performance Network grants. Jacob’s Pillow presented Arch Dance Company’s The Uncomfortable Truth for Inside/Out Stage in 2011. Jennifer is a guest choreographer for Ailey/Fordham 2011/2012 and the Columbia Dance Chicago program.
Press and Reviews
The following is a review to Arch Dance Company’s most recent work The Uncomfortable Truth. The Uncomfortable Truth was presented at Jacob’s Pillow Inside/Out Stage in August 2011.
Alistair Christopher, a New York resident who is a rising star in film production and photography nominated for four Emmys, will lead the film production and photography for the multi-media portion of “Battlegrounds”. Please watch his Cinematography reel.